Re: [savannah-help-public] Using mod_proxy to host the project homepage

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [savannah-help-public] Using mod_proxy to host the project homepage elsewhere
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2013 19:55:01 -0700

Savannah Hackers,

Paulo H. "Taka" Torrens wrote:
> Is there any way you could activate it? Otherwise, is there any
> other way I could achieve this (without using ugly iframes)?

I am not sure how to answer Paulo.  Any ideas?

Here are some thoughts that appeared in my head...

He seems to be trying to use a .htaccess file.  I will probably
trigger a long thread (if you do then start a new thread please) but
those have a bad reputation for slowing server performance.  Not to
mention other concerns.  They are not enabled by default and I
wouldn't suggest to the FSF to enable them.  I wouldn't enable them.

AFAICS the redirect he tried to implement would take the user away
from the gnu.org site completely anyway.  So effectively he wouldn't
be using that domain name in that case anyway.  After the redirect
anyone who bookmarked would bookmark the new location.

I don't like the idea of redirecting off to a www.google.com page as
Paulo suggested in his email.  But I know that there are projects that
simply redirect off to other sites.  But I have no idea how those are
set up.  (Nor can I think of one off the top of my head.  Maybe I am
mistaken.)  If so I think those would simply be top level redirects
and very light weight on the FSF web page side of things.  Probably
simply an RT request to get them installed.

AFAIK the web pages are controlled by the FSF not the Savannah Hackers
team.  So appealing here isn't something we can affect any changes to
anyway.  There is only the upload to cvs for project teams to update
the web pages.  I don't see them setting up generic PHP access anytime
soon.  And Rails/Django would take even more effort.

Rails and Django are relatively heavy and really should have their own
contained daemons to serve their content.  It would be pretty heavy if
every project wanted their own Rails/Django framework running.  Not to
mention the problems with trying to keep those updated for security
vulnerabilities.

Bob