Re: [savannah-help-public] Using mod_proxy to host the project homepage

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [savannah-help-public] Using mod_proxy to host the project homepage elsewhere
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2013 16:09:17 -0700

Hi Karl,

Karl Berry wrote:
> Beyond that, in principle, installing mod_proxy with its potential
> hazards just to make it easy for people to avoid using us seems, um,
> wrong.  I personally am not inclined to change the world just to accede
> to one person's request but hey, it's not up to me.

I am sure that others would like it.  So it is more than just one
person's request.  But as a practical matter I don't think it scales.
There just aren't the resources all in one place for thousands of
unique project sites.  And for the resources needed to maintain them
for security upgrades.  I just don't think it is practical.  Nice in
concept.  Just unable to actually do it.

>     AFAIK the web pages are controlled by the FSF not the Savannah Hackers
>
> The web pages for www.gnu.org are controlled by the FSF.
> But savannah serves www.nongnu.org (from frontend).

I don't think so.  Isn't www.nongnu.org served from the FSF and is
just a top level http redirect back to savannah.nongnu.org?  The
savannah.nongnu.org site is served on frontend.  That is after the
redirect.  But www.nongnu.org is as far as I know served on the FSF
servers.

I guess I should ask about DNS.  I suppose it would be possible for
the DNS name to point to a completely different server.  Again that is
administered by the FSF admins.  I don't know if there is precedent
for it.  And philosophically and politically would the FSF want to be
a DNS registrar for nongnu projects?  Don't know that either.  Maybe
they would since they host them on nongnu.org.  WDYT?

Bob