Re: [savannah-help-public] Using mod_proxy to host the project homepage

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [savannah-help-public] Using mod_proxy to host the project homepage elsewhere
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2013 16:28:34 -0700

    Isn't www.nongnu.org served from the FSF and is
    just a top level http redirect back to savannah.nongnu.org?

Yes, I concur, I had forgotten about that.

    And philosophically and politically would the FSF want to be
    a DNS registrar for nongnu projects?

I am not FSF, but I'm sure the answer is no.

     Maybe they would since they host them on nongnu.org.

The thing is, when someone uses www.nongnu.org, they get
their access after agreeing to our policies (when they registered
their savannah project).  E.g., they agreed not to promote proprietary
software on their web pages.

Spreading that a step further to arbitrary hosting anywhere ... no.
This is also a (philosophical) argument against mod_proxy, or
mod_rewrite stuff, etc.
If people host web pages elsewhere, we don't want there to be any
necessary connection to gnu or savannah.

karl