Speakup works with Czech language

From: Kirk Reiser
Subject: Speakup works with Czech language
Date: Mon Sep 4 09:59:45 2006

Hi Hynek:  I am sorry for the delay in getting back to you.  I needed
the time to look up the various things you were talking about.  I
apologize about the spk_chartab[] misunderstanding.  I was thinking
about the character array so I misunderstood what you were referring
to.  I would like to see that changed to reflect characters above 128
correctly.  When that table was set-up it was simply done that way for
expedience at the time.  If there is a set of ranges which are common
to most or all languages we should replace that section of the table
with more appropriate values such as ALPHA or A_CAP so they'll be
handled right no matter what character set is loaded.  If you don't
think there is a common set of values which would represent most char
sets then we may have to look at another /proc/speakup file but I'd
rather that be a last resort.  If you have any ideas about that let me
know.  I will also look to see if I can find common sections of that
range between various languages.

As to your question about utf8 or unicode, speakup could handle that
by modifying the call to speakup_con_write() in console.c line 2006 to
pass the int instead of recasting to a char.  The only thing I am
reluctant about there is there someway of handling it in speakup.c to
as not to need to define an array of 65536 elements because of the
space requirement.  Maybe we could define a two dimentional array with
null lookups for sets which didn't exist or weren't necessary.  It'd be
very trivial to pass in the entire 16 bit argument though.  It is
after the conversion so the character is correct at that point and I
strip off the high byte.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts on this after reviewing the
code.

  Kirk

--

Kirk Reiser                             The Computer Braille Facility
e-mail: address@hidden          University of Western Ontario