speech dispatcher not connecting to alsa

From: Mitchell Smith
Subject: speech dispatcher not connecting to alsa
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 12:59:05 +1000

Hi,

I suspect gnome-speech is trying to use OSS and tying up your sound card.
Make sure you have installed the alsa-oss package which might help resolve
this matter.

If you have a second system available, try quitting Orca entirely and then
ssh in from another box and run spd-say from the command prompt.

Also, make sure your user is a member of the audio group in /etc/group.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Mitch