speech dispatcher not connecting to alsa

From: Rob Hill
Subject: speech dispatcher not connecting to alsa
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 18:27:17 +1300

Hello Hynek,

Thanks for your help.

As you suggested, 'speech-dispatcher' is the user for sd.  I su'd to
it, and aplay worked.  Spd-say did not, however,from this account, or
any other.  "Speech-dispatcher" is a member of the audio group, as is
my usual user account.  I did notice that while aplay was running from
the sd account, I was unable to start another audio stream.

I don't think I have enough knowledge to determine that pulseaudio is
definitely not running.  If you are interested in checking how I
disabled it, the method I followed can be found at:

http://idyllictux.wordpress.com/2008/10/29/alsa-instead-of-pulseaudio-for-ubuntu-810-intrepid-a-non-destructive-way/

Two things which puzzle me:

1.  I have also tried installing sd in user mode, with the same
result, that sd is unable to connect to alsa.  Therefore a permissions
problem, or pulseaudio being unable to run streams from two different
users is unlikely to be a problem?

2.  Sometimes the message from the dummy output module is spoken.  In
this case, surely sd is connecting to alsa, but not via a useful
output module?

Perhaps it is helpful to note that pretty much the only things about
my Intrepid installation which are not standard are:

1. Pulseaudio has been disabled, I think
2. Emacspeak, flite, and voxin (ibmtts_ have been installed.

Regards,

Rob