speech dispatcher not connecting to alsa

From: Rob Hill
Subject: speech dispatcher not connecting to alsa
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 08:17:46 +1300

Hello Hynek and list,

Well, sd is now working, in user mode.

As you suggested, I did killall speech-dispatcher before starting it
in user mode, and that worked.

ps ax shows no sign of pulse.  I've now edited
/etc/defaults/speech-dispatcher to prevent it from starting as a
system service.

Could you confirm that my understanding of what was going on is
correct?  This is:  I first tried to install sd as a system service.
This didn't work, because of a possible alsa bug preventing audio
streams from two different users from mixing.  I then tried installing
sd as a user service, and this didn't work because the
/etc/default/speech-dispatcher was still there starting the system service.

I haven't tried updating my libasound2 package to the one from jaunty
yet.  I will do, and file a bug report with alsa if still unable to
mix streams from two different users.

Many thanks for your patience and help.  The improvement in the
responsiveness of orca has certainly made the effort worthwhile.

Regards,

Rob