[RFC] speech dispatcher client/server data types

From: Andrei Kholodnyi
Subject: [RFC] speech dispatcher client/server data types
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2010 16:20:05 +0200

>> My proposal would be to align these data types
>> and use the data types definitions from the libspeechd across all
>> project modules
>> with a clear advantage of consistency in data types between client and
>> server.
>
> We have a trade-off.
> I can see the advantage: consistency.
> The disadvantage is coupling. ?If someone ever needs to change one of
> those shared types, it must change in both the client and server, even
> if there's a good reason for changing it in only one component.

Why it is a disadvantage?
if you modify something on one end you need to modify it on another end as well.
If you could give me an example where you see this as disadvantage?

> Also, sharing declarations means that components of Speech Dispatcher
> could not be separated into subprojects, if the need ever arises.
> Those are the arguments against your proposal, as I see them.

mmm..., my feeling is that it will be anyway a dependency on speechd server,
since the server is a core component and these data types belong to the server.

> Honestly, I don't have very strong feelings either way, so I'm curious to see
> what
> others have to say.

Thanks,
Andrei.