[RFC] speech dispatcher client/server data types

From: William Hubbs
Subject: [RFC] speech dispatcher client/server data types
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2010 12:22:15 -0500

Hello Hynek,

On Tue, Oct 05, 2010 at 11:24:49AM +0200, Hynek Hanke wrote:
> I think it is true, on the other side, that we can still gain
> something by sharing some structures and convenience
> functions for their conversion between the C server and C API,
> as long as this is separated into a library that is not a part
> of either of those.

I can agree with a convenience library that contains
functions/structures that are shared by all parts of the project.
Thinking about it, we might be able to change the definition of
libcommon to do that.  I'm not sure, but it is a possibility that I
would be willing to look at.

I'm not sure that is what Andrei is proposing however.

If you look over his patches, he is suggesting that the server, modules
and c API share typedefs.  He wants to remove typedefs from libspeechd.h
and put them in speechd_types.h, creating a single header file that is
used by the server, modules and C API.

This would mean that we would now have to have two public header files
(libspeechd.h and speechd_types.h), and that a change to either of these
would constitute a revision bump for the C API shared library.

I am fine with part of this proposal.  In particular, speechd_types.h
being a common header file for the server and modules.  But, I'm not
sure we should make that header part of the C API as well.

If you disagree with me, I will apply his patches however.  Please let
me know what you think and I'll go from there.

Thanks,

William