Re: [STUMP] Too slow popups with Eclipse

From: Amy Templeton
Subject: Re: [STUMP] Too slow popups with Eclipse
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 13:08:30 -0400

"Daniel Clemente" <address@hidden> wrote:
>   I'm using Eclipse 3.2 and 3.3 with Sun's Java 1.6.0. With stumpwm
> (0.0.6-CVS compiled on 25-august with sbcl), some popup windows take
> too much time to open, whereas at the same computer with other window
> manager (ex: ion) they open almost instantly. I tried that at 2
> computers.
>   For instance these actions reproduce the problem:
> - „Change perspective": Ctrl+F8
> - „Change view": Ctrl+F7
> - „Change editor": Ctrl+F6
> - „Open type": Ctrl+Shift+T

>   The popup window from the first 3 or the window from the 4th takes
> about 6 seconds to open with stumpwm. In that time, the process
> „eclipse" uses 99.9% CPU. Playing with strace to see what it did
> blocked my X several times.

>   Does someone know why they are so slow to open?

I could be wrong about this, but it sounds like an SBCL bug having to do
with threading; things like this used to be a problem for me when I used
Debian's pre-packaged SBCL. Basically, it seems that it gets really slow
anytime processor load is high. To fix this (if it is what I think it
is--I'd suggest testing by doing something else that uses a lot of memory
and seeing if stumpwm gets slow, or else waiting until one of the more
heavyweight lispers on this list weigh in), if this is the case, I'd suggest
compiling SBCL from source, without threading (which does take a while, but
it's a big difference in speed for me).

Good luck, and hopefully it's just this simple problem and not something
more serious.

Amy

--
We are Microsoft. Unix is irrelevant. Openness is futile. Prepare to be
assimilated.