Re: [STUMP] Too slow popups with Eclipse

From: Daniel Clemente
Subject: Re: [STUMP] Too slow popups with Eclipse
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 17:05:01 +0200

Hi. Going on with the thema of making stumpwm easier to compile...:

> > At some point we will have a Debian package with a functioning
> > executable (preferably clisp) and no one will complain about these
> > issues
>
> With my Debian StumpWM maintainer hat on, this won't be the case.  I

   Ok if there is a package for Debian, but anyway stumpwm should be
easier to compile in any other distribution. For instance I'm trying
to compile it (+CLISP, etc.) from source in a system where I can't
install packages.

> > Everyone agrees that StumpWM could be easier to get running,
>
> I don't see how the following is considered difficult, which doesn't
> even require StumpWM to be compiled (assuming that the CL
> implementation and the dependencies don't have any bug):

   The problem is that this assumption is false: SBCL doesn't work
well unless you compile it without multithreading, and CLISP doesn't
work unless you do that from CVS and hack it to support ppcre. And
compiling a LISP implementation is hard; I'm getting there all types
of problems, from "segmentation fault" of gcc to the ones below:

   I am trying to compile a good CLISP which can compile and run stumpwm.
   I wrote: http://stumpwm.antidesktop.net/cgi-bin/wiki/Compiling_CLISP

   But I need your help in some points:

1. Which CLX should be used, mit-clx or new-clx? And still more
important: why? The documentation mentions both, but doesn't offer
information that helps a user to select one.
2. How to install ppcre and make CLISP use it? (See the FAQ, at the
end). Write instructions which are distribution-independant, that
means, not "install your distro's package" or "do this in Debian"
since that doesn't work everywhere.

   Can someone add this information to the wiki page?

   Thanks,
Daniel