Re: [STUMP] Too slow popups with Eclipse

From: Daniel Clemente
Subject: Re: [STUMP] Too slow popups with Eclipse
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 23:23:39 +0200

Hi,
  I agree with John.

> > To say that all one must do is open up some obscure interpreter and
> > enter magic incantations (which probably won't even work for various
> > reasons) is absurd and hardly very helpful.
>
> Obscure interpreter?  Magic incantations?  Please, these are the
> commands everyone working on CL uses and advertises on READMEs, wikis
> and other official docs.

  For me, stumpwm is the first Common Lisp program which I see and
use. I'm starting to learn LISP, but I still don't know what is ASDF,
MK, PPCRE, CLISP/SBCL/CMUCL, cl-launch, ... and I hope I don't have to
learn everything; for the moment it's sufficient having to learn and
configure a new window manager.
  The instructions of Luca may be easy to type, but 1) I don't
understand them. 2) they don't work for me.
  And the Lisp interpreters have caused me a lot of problems... SBCL
(threads) and CLISP (from CVS, with CLX, PCRE, ...).
  So I also think that stumpwm works with an „obscure interpreter"
with „magic incantations".

> I think that a bit of CL knowledge is needed not to start StumpWM, but
> to use it.  Otherwise, why choosing a CL WM instead of Ratpoison,
> which is faster, lighter and has most of the StumpWM features?

  I like LISP and programs written in LISP. I like being able to
compile all in a file. I like to be able to change settings in
real-time. I like the operation and keys which stumpwm offers.
  Moreover, you don't need to learn C to use Ratpoison, or Lua to use
ion, at least at a basis level.

  Anyway, better not to discuss about how difficult is it, but about
how to improve it. The recent release of clisp 2.42 helped to simplify
the process.
  However I still can't compile stumpwm; I will send the errors.

  Greets,
Daniel