Re: [STUMP] Too slow popups with Eclipse

From: Daniel Clemente
Subject: Re: [STUMP] Too slow popups with Eclipse
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 23:56:16 +0200

 Hi,

> The threads problem is an SBCL problem. Multi-threading is
> not a good thing as far as StumpWM is concerned, because
> StumpWM doesn't even utilize threads. Other weirdness can be
> expected when using SBCL with threads. You can indeed
> eliminate these issues by compiling SBCL without threads or
> using clisp instead.

  Could that information be included somewhere in the documentation?
  Somewhere about which LISP to choose, how to compile one, what
problems to expect, what do the experts recommend, ...

  I find it very difficult and user-unfriendly to compile stumpwm
correctly; having to discover and compile so many things is a big fuss
even for programmers.
  I have already spent several hours compiling and customizing  sbcl,
clisp with mit-clx, cl-ppcre, stumpwm, and other things needed for the
occasion (clocc, git). And still I can't get everything to run.

   What plans are there to simplify that?
   Maybe...?

- ask for a release of CLISP (the last one is a year old)

- add clear instructions to the documentation about the requisites
that are needed, but precisely: version numbers which work, which
don't work, suggestions, ...

- add a test program at „configure" which checks that the system is
optimized to compile stumpwm: ex. prints warnings like „With SBCL, you
should better disable multi-threading, otherwise stumpwm will run
slow"

- provide an already compiled stumpwm (ex: with CLISP)

- provide an already compiled CLISP from CVS which has everything
needed. This avoids compiling it from CVS.

- more documentation! Ex: a step-by-step guide about getting and
compiling CLISP and after that stumpwm

- from time to time make a .tar.gz. version of the code in git. (I
happened to be in a computer without git and I had to compile it).
Actually that means „make a release".

   I know that CLISP or SBCL are external to stumpwm, but if they fail
or are so complex, this affects stumpwm.

   And for the documentation, the wiki is already a very good place; I
will also write there instead of just complaining here :-)

   Thanks for stumpwm,

Daniel