[STUMP] Paulownia, aka StumpWM 2.0.0

From: Michael Raskin
Subject: [STUMP] Paulownia, aka StumpWM 2.0.0
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 2015 16:01:50 +0300

>4. I think the support for floats should be dropped initially and re-worked in
>   different way.  If we're going to have floats, I envision being able to
>   toggle windows between being tiled and floating on top of the tiles.  In a
>   sense making the float group sit on top of the tiled group and being able to
>   move windows between the two as needed.  This would ideally be done
>   automagically for dialog boxes that often are placed in awkward positions
>   when tiled.

If we discuss changing the grup logic, maybe we will end up
reconsidering the granularity of group choice?

I.e., is it worth supporting per-monitor groups? Is it worth supporting
multiple «pseudo-monitors» inside a single physical display? What _is_
a group, what is tied to it (windows has a single group?) and what are
its immutable characteristics (if we have per-monitor groups, what to do
with frame splits, if there are any)? Is a floating group always
entire-workspace? Is a floating group tied to underlying tiling group?

My setup via frame tagging is most close to 4 no-permanent-splits
«groups» inside a single physical display, and one or four more when
I attach an external display to my notebook.

Should I describe more details about its usage as a use case or is it
too weird to consider at the current stage?