Re: [STUMP] Paulownia, aka StumpWM 2.0.0

From: David Bjergaard
Subject: Re: [STUMP] Paulownia, aka StumpWM 2.0.0
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 2015 14:07:59 +0100

Michael Raskin <address@hidden> writes:

>>4. I think the support for floats should be dropped initially and re-worked
>>in a
>>   different way.  If we're going to have floats, I envision being able to
>>   toggle windows between being tiled and floating on top of the tiles.  In a
>>   sense making the float group sit on top of the tiled group and being able
>>   move windows between the two as needed.  This would ideally be done
>>   automagically for dialog boxes that often are placed in awkward positions
>>   when tiled.
>
> If we discuss changing the grup logic, maybe we will end up
> reconsidering the granularity of group choice?
>
> I.e., is it worth supporting per-monitor groups? Is it worth supporting
> multiple «pseudo-monitors» inside a single physical display? What _is_
> a group, what is tied to it (windows has a single group?) and what are
> its immutable characteristics (if we have per-monitor groups, what to do
> with frame splits, if there are any)? Is a floating group always
> entire-workspace? Is a floating group tied to underlying tiling group?
>
> My setup via frame tagging is most close to 4 no-permanent-splits
> «groups» inside a single physical display, and one or four more when
> I attach an external display to my notebook.
>
> Should I describe more details about its usage as a use case or is it
> too weird to consider at the current stage?

Hi Michael,

This is a brainstorming thread, so please elaborate an enumerate.  I'm not
promising it'll end up in the final result.

More than one request has been made to make groups per physical screen.  I quite
like the way Stump does it now, so I (personally) would want to make it possible
to achieve what is already there.  For the sake of consistency in our discussion
lets define some terms :
- screen: a virtual space within which frames can be drawn
- head: a physical monitor
- frame: a boundary within which a window is drawn
- group: a list of windows to be drawn in frames

To summarize them a bit, a screen can be drawn across multiple heads.  The frame
is a partition of a screen within which a window can be drawn.  A group is a
collection of windows that will be drawn across the screen within the frames.

In terms of reasonable vocabulary, the only word that makes sense is frame, ie
the boundary of a window.  Groups are what people typically think of as
workspaces, and I always have to look up how stumpwm treats heads vs screens.

An obvious candidate to lower the barrier for entry (and maintenance) would be
to rename these things, calling a head a monitor, a group a workspace, and
either keeping screen or renaming it a canvas.

    David