Re: [STUMP] Paulownia, aka StumpWM 2.0.0

From: Michael Raskin
Subject: Re: [STUMP] Paulownia, aka StumpWM 2.0.0
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 2015 18:03:01 +0300

>> My setup via frame tagging is most close to 4 no-permanent-splits
>> «groups» inside a single physical display, and one or four more when
>> I attach an external display to my notebook.
>>
>> Should I describe more details about its usage as a use case or is it
>> too weird to consider at the current stage?
>
>I think the fact that a single group spans *all* heads and it's not
>possible to switch between groups on a per-monitor basis is a leading
>cause of confusion (based on my experience of lurking/helping out in the
>IRC room,) and would defiantly be a great boon to the software.

And with modern widescreens, even a sub-monitor groups make some sense.

>There are a lot of design questions around interface, and I think the
>current functionality might be desirable for some users.
>
>I think that Michael's tag-based approach to window<->frame association
>has a bit too much cognitive overhead (at least for me,) and--while this

Yes.

Actually, most of the time I use it as an underlying layer for trivial
scripts that reflect my actual intent by auto-tagging and chosing
frequently-used tags.

>is more general than this specific feature--I think it'll be important
>to continue to use emacs and screen as a guide for interface and user
>interaction models, even if we do a lot of clean up and refactoring
>around the edges.

Also, we should remember that screen has some annoying limitations.

Maybe looking to tmux is also a good idea…