Re: [Swftools-common] Device fonts?

From: Chris Flowers
Subject: Re: [Swftools-common] Device fonts?
Date: Sun, 06 Mar 2005 13:54:50 -0500

> Really?? I knew it was possible to break the Flash player
> by using too much shapes or clipping, but haven't yet heard about
> any restriction concerning how much text there can be.
> (Or, for that matter, of a performance difference between real fonts and
>  device fonts)

Yes, alot of text when anti-aliased can bog the framerate down.
I've ran into this when trying to display and scroll medical data, for
example.
I don't think there's any restriction just a heavy loss in performance.

Drug manufacturers 'love' to do things like 4 columns of text on one page
in 6 point type. You need to zoom like to 300% to even read it.

The best solution for such documents is what Patrik mention, convert to
jpeg.
You loose the smooth scaling at trading off for performance.

Another more involved option is to set the player to display 'Low' quality
when scrolling or zooming then switch to 'High' when the page becomes
static.

Chris