Re: [bug #38168] support --all

From: Sergey Poznyakoff
Subject: Re: [bug #38168] support --all
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2013 07:37:02 +0300

Hi Karl,

> Now, with info, the results are not as helpful:
> $ info -aw automake
> /usr/local/gnu/share/info/automake.info
> /usr/local/gnu/share/info/automake.info

Yes, I get a similar result.

> From the --debug output, it seems that this happens because there are
> numerous dir files on the system (as is usual), most of which have an
> entry for automake like:

You are right, that's the reason.

> repetition.  (I am not sure why there is only one *manpages* entry; in
> other tests on my system, e.g., info -aw as, I get multiple *manpages*
> results too.)

That's interesting, indeed.  I can't reproduce it, but I will investigate.

> I think the output actually desired is something more like this:
> /usr/local/gnu/share/info/automake.info
> /usr/share/info/automake.info.gz
> *manpages*
>
> I guess that would mean checking for the manual's file in the same
> directory as the dir file, unlike Info's usual algorithm.

I'm afraid it would complicate the code quite significantly.
I'd rather keep a list of already processed info files and consult
it before deciding whether or not to output a new info file. This
way each file will be output once no matter how many dir files refer
to it.

Regards,
Sergey