Re: [bug #38168] support --all

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [bug #38168] support --all
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2013 22:37:16 GMT

    Fixed both.  Please give it a try.

Thanks for all the additional work.  We're getting closer.
Unfortunately I still see some infelicities:

First, info -aw automake does not show *manpages* at all for me, even
though there is an automake man page installed.  Under what
circumstances is it supposed to show up?

Second.  We didn't discuss it before, but there is also the question of
what do about multiple extensions.  The same info directory might (and
often does) contain both foo, foo.info, foo.info.gz, and plenty more.

I think the ideal would be to show them all, since after all that's what
was requested.  But it would be acceptable to just show whichever one is
preferred by the usual algorithm (which would be what, these days?).

However, the current behavior is unfortunately not either of those.  For
example, I have one emacs Info file on my system, in
/usr/local/gnu/share/info/emacs.info.gz.  If I run info -aw emacs now, I
get the expected:
/usr/local/gnu/share/info/emacs.info.gz
*manpages*

But if I create an empty (or any) file
/usr/local/gnu/share/info/emacs.info, the output of info -aw emacs
becomes just one line:
/usr/local/gnu/share/info/dir

It should not be outputting "anything/dir" when looking for emacs :).
(And *manpages* has disappeared.)

On the other hand, creating /usr/local/gnu/share/info/emacs (no .info)
has no effect on the -aw output.  (I suppose because emacs.info is
preferred to emacs.info.gz, but emacs.info.gz is preferred to emacs.)

Just let me know if debugging output or whatever would help, of course.

Thanks,
Karl