Re: [Texmacs-dev] Re: presentation mode bugs

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Re: presentation mode bugs
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 16:21:24 +0200 (MET DST)

On Wed, 29 May 2002, Stéphane Payrard wrote:

> Ouch, I experience the same problem using presentation mode with KDE 3.0 and
> icewm 1.09 . I have not yet tried with other window managers.  With
> KDE 3.0, TeXmacs process is well alive but it disappears from the
> sight of the window manager: the appli window becomes invisible, its
> icon on the panel and the kasbar disappear. Same thing with icecwm except that
> it has no kasbar.
>
> The same problem with two independant WMs is a serious sign of broken
> compliance with protocols.  BTW: Joris, what WM do you use?  Probably
> some serious reading of the infamous ICCCM will help.

I use the standard window manager which comes with Gnome on a Red Hat box.
I have the impression that it is named sawfish.

> BTW: presentation mode seems to work fine when I don't use any window
> manager. I would not dare to speak of work-around. :)

And for me it works fine too...

> > Please tell us more precisely what is going on.
> >
> > Stephane: would you be interested in correcting these problems and
> > making presentation mode more presentable ?
>
> At least, I will try to make it visible...

Yes, probably this is again a matter of undocumented properties
in my book about X. I had a hard job to make it work on my system
anyway, because there seems to be no direct way to tell X that
I do not want any window decorations. Maybe one needs a similar
kind of property as in the case of the kill button.

> It will be the occasion to get back to see TeXmacs and its
> code per se.

The main part is in the routines

void
x_window_rep::full_screen_sub (bool flag) {
  XSetWindowAttributes setattr;
  setattr.override_redirect= flag;
  XChangeWindowAttributes (dpy, win, CWOverrideRedirect, &setattr);
  unmap (); map ();
  if (flag) {
    XSetInputFocus (dpy, win, RevertToParent, CurrentTime);
    // unsufficient for setting focus
    // temporary hack: full_screen_mode member function of editor_rep
  }
}

void
x_window_rep::full_screen (bool flag) {
  if (full_screen_flag == flag) return;
  if (flag) {
    XSetWindowBorderWidth (dpy, win, 0);
    save_x= win_x; save_y= win_y;
    save_w= win_w; save_h= win_h;
    XMoveResizeWindow (dpy, win, 0, 0,
                       dis->display_width, dis->display_height);
    move_event   (0, 0);
    resize_event (dis->display_width, dis->display_height);
    full_screen_sub (flag);
  }
  else {
    full_screen_sub (flag);
    XMoveResizeWindow (dpy, win, save_x, save_y, save_w, save_h);
    resize_event (save_w, save_h);
    move_event   (save_x, save_y);
  }
  full_screen_flag= flag;
}

I have no idea why I had to do things in this way on my system,
but it worked for me...

> If you are curious about my silence, I am knee-deep trying to bind Gtk 2.0
> to TeXmacs and drive the GUI from Perl. I have nothing to show yet.

I am sorry that you have such a hard job to get something working.
If I may dare to give you a suggestion, it might be a good start to
try to replace src/Window/X by src/Window/Gdk, i.e. to start by moving
to Gdk before dealing with the widgets. First of all, I think that
this is easier and it will give you the satisfaction of getting some
of your code incorporated into TeXmacs in a reasonable future.
Secondly, this will enable others to port TeXmacs to Windows,
without having to wait for the widgets to be ported.
Thirdly, it will make porting the TeXmacs widgets to Gtk easier.

> Also I would like to have some level of compliance of the TBD TeXmacs
> widget with the Gtk 2.0 Text API as an incitation for people to use
> the TeXmacs widget. This API is at last (and probably at least) as
> powerful than the Tk text API I like very much and has been around for
> many many years.

Will it be possible to keep our anti-aliased TeX fonts in the menus and so?
Certain people don't give a fuck about it, but for others this is precisely
this kind of detail which makes them love TeXmacs...

> BTW: the online documentation is unisable without navigation help
> either from the browsed document or texmacs as a browser.

I know, but I don't have the three days at the moment in order
to make TeXmacs a browser.

<Joris>