[Texmacs-dev] Modularization

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: [Texmacs-dev] Modularization
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 18:25:27 +0200 (MET DST)

> In the future, TeXmacs will be properly modularized (with a designed
> API), then we will consider a librarized TeXmacs again. Anyway the
> GNU-correct way to do it is by using libtool, so library compilation
> would have to be redone anyway. And I think that if libtool does not
> properly support Cygwin, that is a bug worth fixing.

I have thought a bit about this, although I think that this really is
a long term project (which means more precisely: after XML/XSL,
after appropriate converters for LaTeX, *ML, pdf,
after redesign of the Scheme interface,
and after appropriate ports to Windows, Mac OS).

I think that TeXmacs will essentially consist of three main parts:
  * the GUI (src/Window and part of src/Resources),
  * the typesetting engine (src/Typeset and later src/Style) and
  * the editor (src/Edit, src/TeXmacs, and TeXmacs-[version]/progs).
I think that it will be possible to cleanly separate these parts
modulo some fairly small interfaces. Also, most of the functionnality
of the editor which is now implemented in src/Edit and src/TeXmacs
should be rewritten in scheme (we might provide other extension
languages too later, but for the moment we'll stick to Scheme).

Joris van der Hoeven <address@hidden>
http://www.texmacs.org: GNU TeXmacs scientific text editor
http://www.math.u-psud.fr/~vdhoeven: personal homepage