Re: [Texmacs-dev] Re: texmacs, guile, cygwin

From: David Allouche
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Re: texmacs, guile, cygwin
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 17:50:01 +0200

On Wednesday 29 May 2002 15:40, Marciano Siniscalchi wrote:

> I guess it would now be a good time to produce Cygwin packages for
> Guile and TeXmacs, so that steps 3-6 can be skipped. IMHO, running
> TeXmacs should be a sufficient reason to install Cygwin/Xfree...
>
> I am unable to do so at this time, but it would be great if somebody
> were to take the plunge...
>
> Also, if anybody is willing to reproduce the above steps, it would be
> very useful.

Maybe I will have a look next week. I have to make another iteration for
the removal of gencc (with another round of compile test).

> Joris---it would be nice to have TeXmacs use DLLs, but this requires
> substantial tinkering with the Makefile's. Generating Win32 DLL's
> directly from gcc does not appear to be possible at this time.

That is no longer a problem. The new compile system has no target to
produce what used to be DYNAMIC_TEXMACS. Now the default target builds
what used to be MIXED_TEXMACS, that version do use dynamic linking, but
only to system libraries and GUILE.

In the future, TeXmacs will be properly modularized (with a designed
API), then we will consider a librarized TeXmacs again. Anyway the
GNU-correct way to do it is by using libtool, so library compilation
would have to be redone anyway. And I think that if libtool does not
properly support Cygwin, that is a bug worth fixing.
--

                                  -- David --