Re: [Texmacs-dev] French translation of documentation

From: David Allouche
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] French translation of documentation
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 18:28:48 +0100

On Sun, Nov 24, 2002 at 02:50:08PM +0100, Joris van der Hoeven wrote:
> We checked the French translation of the manual by Michèle.
> Here is a list of small mistakes or strangenesses that we found:

My two cents...

> 1.1 (Conventions ...) frappe clavier -> frappe-clavier

Rather "frappes clavier", I think that is a plural mistake, not a
compound word. A similar (correct) case is "raccourcis clavier".

Also I think that "police <em|typewriter>" should rather be "police
non proportionnelle".

> 1.4 (Impression ...) Ce problème sera résolue -> résolu
> 2.2 (Structure ...) à posteriori -> a posteriori

> 2.7 (... polices) "graisse" -> épaisseur (?)

"Graisse" is the right word in french for "boldness".

> 2.8.9 (... hybrides ...) retour chariot -> entrée

2.8.9 should read 2.8.4...

Agreed, "Entrée" may not be completely correct, but it is familiar,
and is what is written on the physical key.

> 2.8.5 (objets dynamiques) ,, et "retour arrière" -> symbôle "<-"
>       [et ailleurs... sections 4.1, 6.2, 8.1.1, etc.]

Agreed.

> 4.3 (titre) Choix de l'alignement d'une cellule et d'un tableau ->
>     Alignement des cellules et des tableaux

> 5.2 (Insertion d'images) Rognage -> Troncature (?)

Against, Rognage is the correct troncature... not very cute though.

>     Agrandissement proportionnelle -> proportionnel
> 6.3 (... orthographe) langues utilisés -> utilisées
> 8.1.1 (utilisation normale) pour choisir ... données "si applicable"
> (?)

Agreed.

> 8.2.4 (Macaulay 2) forme compilé -> compilée
> 8.2.7 (QCL) Les utilisateurs ... doit -> doivent

> 9.1.1 (TeXmacs -> LaTeX) convertir ... TeXmacs "à" LaTeX -> en (?)
>       [et ailleurs]

That is correct. "Convertir de TeXmacs à LaTeX" because here LaTeX
refers to the application. See also "Convertir de Word à OpenOffice".

But "sauvegarder un document TeXmacs en LaTeX" (not in the
documentation, that is just an exemple) because here LaTeX refers to
the document format.

>       vous observerez, qu'en général, seules ... ->
>       vous observerez qu'en général seules ...
> 9.2 (titre) Conversion de documents TeXmacs en format Html ->
>     Conversion de TeXmacs en Html

That is bad. The original title is "Conversion of TeXmacs documents to
HTML". I propose: "Conversion de documents TeXmacs en HTML".

> 10.2 (titre) Écriture de fichiers d'initialisation personnalisés ->
>      Personnalisation des fichiers d'initialisation
>
> Notice that titles should be kept as short as possible,
> so that they will be displayed on one line.
>
> Besides this, I recall that many menu and markup tags were translated,
> which is inappropriate. In particular, I found translated menu tags
> in sections 4.2, 4.3, 4.4, 4.5, 5.1, 5.2, 5.3, 5.4, 5.5, 5.7, 6.1,
> 6.2, 6.4, 7.1, 7.2, 8.1, 8.2 (intro), 10 (intro) and translated
> markup tags in sections 2.3, 2.5, 4.6. But there may be more...

Joris, could you design a little index hack (as a package) to display
the untranslated content of those structures (and if possible not the
sections) in the index. In that way it could easily be checked that
all tags are NOT translated, and duplicates will be merged.

That problem will probably occur again, so it is a good thing to
provide some tools to make it easy to fix.

BTW, it may be nice to use a similar feature to automagically populate
the index (with the translated texts).

--
David Allouche         | GNU TeXmacs -- Writing is a pleasure
Free software engineer |    http://www.texmacs.org