Re: [Texmacs-dev] French translation of documentation

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] French translation of documentation
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 19:17:59 +0100 (MET)

> > 1.1 (Conventions ...) frappe clavier -> frappe-clavier
>
> Rather "frappes clavier", I think that is a plural mistake, not a
> compound word. A similar (correct) case is "raccourcis clavier".

No, "frapper" is a verb, so frappe-clavier becomes a compound word and
"frappe" is not conjugated. I do not know whether one should write
"frappe-claviers" though, but probably not, because there is
only one "clavier".

> Also I think that "police <em|typewriter>" should rather be "police
> non proportionnelle".

Yes.

> > 2.7 (... polices) "graisse" -> épaisseur (?)
>
> "Graisse" is the right word in french for "boldness".

OK; it just surprised Sylvie.

> > 5.2 (Insertion d'images) Rognage -> Troncature (?)
>
> Against, Rognage is the correct troncature... not very cute though.

The word "rognage" again surprised Sylvie; troncature sounds better.
Also, troncature is frequently used in mathematics for this operation.

> >     Agrandissement proportionnelle -> proportionnel
> > 6.3 (... orthographe) langues utilisés -> utilisées
> > 8.1.1 (utilisation normale) pour choisir ... données "si applicable"
> > (?)
>
> Agreed.

Agreed with what? This sentence just sounds strangely;
maybe it should be reformulated.

> > 8.2.4 (Macaulay 2) forme compilé -> compilée
> > 8.2.7 (QCL) Les utilisateurs ... doit -> doivent
>
> > 9.1.1 (TeXmacs -> LaTeX) convertir ... TeXmacs "à" LaTeX -> en (?)
> >       [et ailleurs]
>
> That is correct. "Convertir de TeXmacs à LaTeX" because here LaTeX
> refers to the application. See also "Convertir de Word à OpenOffice".

No, it rather refers to the LaTeX format (even though that format
is ill-defined) in my opinion.

> > 9.2 (titre) Conversion de documents TeXmacs en format Html ->
> >     Conversion de TeXmacs en Html
>
> That is bad. The original title is "Conversion of TeXmacs documents to
> HTML". I propose: "Conversion de documents TeXmacs en HTML".

That is OK too.

> > 10.2 (titre) Écriture de fichiers d'initialisation personnalisés ->
> >      Personnalisation des fichiers d'initialisation
> >
> > Notice that titles should be kept as short as possible,
> > so that they will be displayed on one line.
> >
> > Besides this, I recall that many menu and markup tags were translated,
> > which is inappropriate. In particular, I found translated menu tags
> > in sections 4.2, 4.3, 4.4, 4.5, 5.1, 5.2, 5.3, 5.4, 5.5, 5.7, 6.1,
> > 6.2, 6.4, 7.1, 7.2, 8.1, 8.2 (intro), 10 (intro) and translated
> > markup tags in sections 2.3, 2.5, 4.6. But there may be more...
>
> Joris, could you design a little index hack (as a package) to display
> the untranslated content of those structures (and if possible not the
> sections) in the index. In that way it could easily be checked that
> all tags are NOT translated, and duplicates will be merged.
>
> That problem will probably occur again, so it is a good thing to
> provide some tools to make it easy to fix.
>
> BTW, it may be nice to use a similar feature to automagically populate
> the index (with the translated texts).

In fact, we should have a tmdoc-author style and a tmdoc-reader style.
I am still thinking about how to do this, because one should always
save under the tmdoc-reader style...