Re: [Texmacs-dev] gif license

From: Michèle Garoche
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] gif license
Date: Sun, 11 May 2003 17:37:50 +0200

Le dimanche, 11 mai 2003, à 12:51 Europe/Paris, Martin Costabel a écrit :

David Allouche wrote:

On Sun, May 11, 2003 at 10:50:45AM +0200, Michèle Garoche wrote:
So, that's a problem if they are gif files, as we are not supposed to use gif files (license), are we? They were integrated last year >>> by
This is software patent problem over the LZW algorithm used in GIF.

Apart from that, texmacs' problem with these is that it doesn't treat files with the wrong extension correctly.
And don't forget that a bunch of graphics applications do not allow anymore to manipulate gif files (at least on Mac OS X), don't know on other platforms. It may sound like a punishment measure (and I fully agree with), but I doubt that even after termination of the license, vendors return to gif files (I may be wrong here).

Michèle
<http://micmacfr.homeunix.org/>