Re: [Texmacs-dev] heuristic to determine image format

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] heuristic to determine image format
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 17:56:01 +0200 (CEST)

> Generally, a much more reliable heuristic would be using the "file"
> command. This is whole software project dedicated to this single
> problem.

This heuristic does seem to be almost reliable on Linux

address@hidden vdhoeven]$ file test1.tex
test1.tex: LaTeX 2e document text
address@hidden vdhoeven]$ file test1.dvi
test1.dvi: TeX DVI file (TeX output 2003.05.10:1657?)
address@hidden vdhoeven]$ file test.ps
test.ps: PostScript document text conforming at level 2.0
address@hidden vdhoeven]$ file recherche.tm
recherche.tm: ISO-8859 text

but not very reliable on a (recent) SUN machine:

address@hidden vdhoeven](8) file serre.tex
serre.tex:      ascii text
address@hidden vdhoeven](9) file banach_space.html
banach_space.html:      ascii text
address@hidden vdhoeven](10) file issac03.ps
issac03.ps:     PostScript document
address@hidden vdhoeven](11) file convpde.tm
convpde.tm:     data

So I guess that we can not use that command.