Re: tx fonts [Re: [Texmacs-dev] txexa font]

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: Re: tx fonts [Re: [Texmacs-dev] txexa font]
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 11:18:48 +0200 (CEST)

On 13 May 2003, Nix N. Nix wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-05-13 at 16:49, David Allouche wrote:
> > But you are still going to be annoyed by the edges of the brace
> > extremities and center, unless you also customize the order in which
> > glyphs are drawn.
>
> I was thinking about that.  Is it not the case though, that if the glyph
> ends at the edge of its bounding box, then TeXmacs does not dither
> outside the raster representation of the bounding box ?  That is,
>
>   vector         raster
> +--------+     +--------+ <- bounding box
> |        |     |        |
> |        |     |        |
> +--------+     +--------+
> |XBLACKXX|     |XBLACKXX|
> |XBLACKXX| --> |XBLACKXX|
> +--------+     +--------+
> |        |     |        |
> |        |     |        |
> +--------+     +--------+
>
> and not
>
>   vector          raster
> +--------+      +--------+ <- bounding box
> |        |      |        |
> |        |      |        |
> +--------+      +--------+
> |XBLACKXX|     X|XBLACKXX|X
> |XBLACKXX| --> X|XBLACKXX|X
> +--------+     ^+--------+
> |        |     ||        |
> |        |   +-+|        |
> +--------+   |  +--------+
>         antialiasing
>          "spillover"
>
> If this is the case, all will be well.

But this is not the case. You might still be saved by drawing
a horizontal line *after* drawing the extremities though,
but your horizontal line will not be anti-aliased in that case.

On the other hand, when creating a real bitmap, the bitmap
is exported *as is* in the postscript file, which may not be
a very good idea for the Pdf export.

As a general rule, I would like to notice that getting
the characters to match perfectly is quite complicated and very hacky.
However, bad matches are immediately noticed and very ugly...