Re: tx fonts [Re: [Texmacs-dev] txexa font]

From: David Allouche
Subject: Re: tx fonts [Re: [Texmacs-dev] txexa font]
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 00:26:28 +0200

On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 04:11:22PM -0600, Nix N. Nix wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-05-13 at 12:32, Joris van der Hoeven wrote:
> > Yes, I can do that, but I want to make sure that this is
> > the right solution; it seems really very hacky...
> I remember you were worried about getting the anti-aliasing right.
> Consider:  The \braceld etc. characters have the necessary hints to get
> them rendered just so.  The \bracext character was designed to be
> rendered alongside the brace extremities, so it stands to reason that it
> too should look alright alongside them.

TeXmacs does its own hinting of characters to try to provide optimal
constrast on screen. (BTW, my experience is that you get better
rendering with shrinking=7, there is no noticeable improvement for
higher shrinking factors).

In addition, characters are printed on screen using a dumb copymask
operation (where a smarter composition using multiplication would be
more correct, but maybe too expensive).

To get the proper rendering you *really* have to create bitmaps for
the composite characters. Of course, that is not going to work well if
we want a continous range of braces (not a discrete one), but anyway I
do not think the font model would support this anyway.

My two cents.
--
                                                            -- ddaa