Re: [Texmacs-dev] Deconstructing TeXmacs (was: Applied patches for TeXma

From: David Allouche
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Deconstructing TeXmacs (was: Applied patches for TeXmacs-1.0.1.14)
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 21:18:06 +0200

On Wed, May 21, 2003 at 11:16:27AM -0600, Nix N. Nix wrote:
> Wow ! This /is/ quite involved and seems, at least immediately,
> overwhelming.  I think I will proceed cautiously.  I believe step 1
> should be for me to check for correct application not only my own
> patches, but all patches on savannah, after a version of TeXmacs is
> released.  Then, if I notice any application bugs, I can, for instance,
> point them out to you.  Eventually, I might be able to perform the
> "figure out the application mistake, close the patch, and post a new one
> to fix the mistake" step.

If you can spare the time, that is okay. That will only make you more
familiar with various parts of texmacs, and that cannot be a bad
thing.

But actually, what is actually expected from you is just checking
application of your own patches.

As you will go, I think you will understand that the procedure I just
described is not *that* involved. Maybe it was overwhelming because I
described it in great detail.

All but the parts related to splitting original changes are, if not
required, quite useful to the process of checking patch application.

Also, using arch makes it a breeze to manage a parallel development
branch which always contais some yet-to-be-applied patches.

> There is one aspect that would make this process simpler:  If Joris
> always told us which savannah patches he has applied.

I think he intends to do just that. He has been very consistent in
doing so except for 1.0.1.12. In case no patch is actually applied, a
message confirming this would also be a good thing.

> I don't think I should have admin rights until I am comfortable with the
> patch-checking and "patch-patch-generation".

Let us see how things go.

> I am impressed by the fact that you are trying to create a patch history
> that maximizes orthogonality among patches (if I have understood you
> correctly).

Yes that is one of my goals. And one thing Joris thinks I should not
spend time doing.

Actually, given appropriate tools, that is not very difficult as long
as there are not several major overlapping changes affecting numerous
files (as in 1.0.1.13). And when this happens, this part can be left
out since, as you pointed out, its value is mostly educational.

--
                                                            -- ddaa