[Texmacs-dev] Free Software needs Free Documentation

From: martin-kemp
Subject: [Texmacs-dev] Free Software needs Free Documentation
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2021 19:00:56 +0200 (CEST)

The biggest deficiency in texmacs is not in the software - it is
the lack of good free manuals. Many programs do not come with
full manuals.  Documentation is an essential part of any software
package.  When an important free software package does not come
with a free manual, it is a major problems. We have many such
gaps today.

It is unfortunate to see a Directeur de Recherche of CNRS and the
main developer of the Gnu TeXmacs Software System, writes a guide
on mastering the secrets and latest versions of Gnu TeXmacs.
Even worse, the book is written in english, yet the terms of sale
are given in french.

And with the hefty price of 50 Euros, who is he supposed to be
kidding.  Because many people are not laughing or pleased - to
say the least.

Why is this? The authors of good manuals write them for
publishers, which published them with restrictive terms - no
copying, no modification, source files not available - which
maken them non-free, thus excluded them from the Free World.

And given that writing good English is a rare skill among
programmers, we can ill afford to lose manuals this way.