Re: [Texmacs-dev] Free Software needs Free Documentation

From: Massimiliano Gubinelli
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Free Software needs Free Documentation
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2021 19:35:37 +0200

Dear Martin,

 let me add some more perspective and some numbers, since you seems to be new to this project  and maybe unfamiliar with it.

You can check here some metrics:

https://www.openhub.net/p/texmacs

TeXmacs has ~250.000 lines of C++ and ~200.000 lines of Scheme code. The great majority of this code has been written by Joris since 17 years:

https://www.openhub.net/p/texmacs/contributors/summary

I've joined the project in 2006 and I witnessed the constant work which Joris delivers in bugfixes, new substantial features, quality control over contributions by others, etc.. It is fair to say that a large community of users profits everyday from this work.

As for documentation we have a 260 pages user manual, a 50 pages developer guide and a 150 pages manual for the scheme extensions. All free and available in the program. There is a forum and a blog

with some tutorials.

Joris himself created also few video tutorials (the  only one available so far), available on youtube and on our own web site.

So I find quite puzzling your critique, and frankly quite unjust. Maybe were you not aware of their existence?

I feel that Joris has the right to write and distribute whatever he likes, especially given the fact that his contribution to the project is already substantial without the book. I personally bought several copies to give as gift to friends.

I do not share the opinion of Alvaro that the book should be made free. The program is free software and everybody can write documentation, tutorials for it. Is not the obligation of Joris to do more than he already does and I'm quite fine with him publishing a great book for 50 euros, as I would be if he would publish a literary work with a standard publisher. You cannot compare a book with a small distribution like one on TeXmacs with a widespread book on Algebra used by many more students. As with other publications students can ask libraries to but the book, libraries which already have books on TeX and LaTeX which are similarly prices: Lamport's LaTeX book is $44 euros on amazon:

But, as everybody using TeXmacs regularly knows, you do not have to have the book to use it. Many of us learned to use TeXmacs before and without Joris' book. You can go in the forum and ask information, you can read the sources and see how to do something, you can read the blog for specific tutorials written by other collaborators like Giovanni.

TeXmacs is a great project I'm quite proud to contribute to. I never felt any problem with Joris' book.

Open source projects needs support and love from users which understand and value the dedication and hard work needed to make them successful.

Best regards,
Massimiliano Gubinelli