Re: Q&A FAQ URL - add to "Getting Help" page

From: Grant Bowman
Subject: Re: Q&A FAQ URL - add to "Getting Help" page
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 13:36:25 -0700

* Marcus Brinkmann <address@hidden> [020510 09:59]:
> On Fri, May 10, 2002 at 07:46:03AM +0200, Wolfgang Jährling wrote:
> > Hi Grant!
> >
> > Grant Bowman <address@hidden> wrote:
> > > I just ran across this page.
> > >
> > >         http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
> > >
> > > I feel it should be added to this page.
> > >
> > >         http://www.gnu.org/software/hurd/help.html
> > >
> > > I can do some editing and send an HTML diff to apply to the page if
> > > people think this is a good idea.
> >
> > Well, I appreciate that you want to try to help improve the Hurd web
> > pages, but... this has nothing to do with the Hurd at all. And it even
> > talks about "open source" and calls Linux an operating system. *shudder*

I respectfully disagree Wolfgang.  Time is a scarce resource for Hurd
developers.  A reference of this type directly addresses effective use
of the most valuable resource available to the project.

I also believe I know the Hurd and it's social norms well enough to
understand what would improve and what would detract from the messages
you and other Hurd folk wish to convey.

> > So, I don't think this is a good idea, even if the document is certainly
> > useful in a general sense.
>
> I agree.  Although it seems the site as a lot of valuable information, it is
> nothing we need to add to our page.  And his concerns are right, some of the
> information in it would make it downright harmful and actually violate our
> own policy (like calling the system GNU/Linux, not Linux).

I believe you are both missing the forest of questions that this link
answers for a single GNU tree.  Grep for Linux and you will see for
yourself.  I just finished a second look at the document for other
GNU/RMS-negative comments but couldn't find any.  There are three
references to Linux that might be seen as un-RMS proper:  two questions
and one reference in paragraph 6 of the section.

I emailed ESR and he has a strong negative opinion about changing these
references from Linux to GNU/Linux.  Be that as it may, I do not believe
this detracts from the usefulness of the document.

It would be nice if we lived in a black and white world, but we don't.

> In fact, if we have the need to tell people how to behave in our community
> or give them some guidelines how they can get the infos they need, we should
> write up our own rules and advices ;)

The intent is to encourage good behavior, helping everyone.

Given the lack of resources and the quality that could be expected from
something we write ourselves, how realistic do you think it is to
recreate the wheel in this case?

> But feel free to tell all the people you know about this document, it
> certainly can give some guidance if someone feels irritated about a hacekr
> community.

Because of the Hurd learning curve and the lack of other people's clear
understanding of what the Hurd is, I feel at least a subtle link to
something like this is appropriate, useful and necessary.

--
-- Grant Bowman                                <address@hidden>