Re: Q&A FAQ URL - add to "Getting Help" page

From: Grant Bowman
Subject: Re: Q&A FAQ URL - add to "Getting Help" page
Date: Sat, 11 May 2002 12:44:49 -0700

Thanks for the reply, Jeroen.

* Jeroen Dekkers <address@hidden> [020511 12:24]:
> On Thu, May 09, 2002 at 07:04:40PM -0700, Grant Bowman wrote:
> > I just ran across this page.
> >
> >         http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
> >
> > I feel it should be added to this page.
> >
> >         http://www.gnu.org/software/hurd/help.html
> >
> > I can do some editing and send an HTML diff to apply to the page if
> > people think this is a good idea.
>
> 1) The document is non-free. (You have *no* rights)

It's copyright without a license.  That's not the same thing as
non-free.  I will ask about redistribution rights.

> 2) We don't link to websites spreading FUD about the FSF etc.

You make this document out to sound like it's actively attacking the
FSF.  It simply isn't if you care to read it.  It makes some mistakes in
terminology in three places that I can tell.  On what do you base the
claim that this is spreading FUD?

Now the person writing it may or may not promote the same ideals.  I
don't know enough about the relationship between RMS & ESR to say.  I
suspect it's complex since the uninformed "general public" may see them
as fighting for the same rights.  This isn't true, but due to media spin
I bet it looks that way.

> 3) People who don't know this should not try out the Hurd at all. At
>    the moment only developers and experienced users should try out the
>    Hurd, normal users would just be disappointed because a lot of
>    things don't work.

I would bet that people who don't know this are looking at the website
all the time, day and night.  As the reputation of the hurd grows so
will the intrest by non-kernel level folks.

--
-- Grant Bowman                                <address@hidden>