Re: [Wesnoth-dev] A short list of things

From: Susanna Björverud
Subject: Re: [Wesnoth-dev] A short list of things
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 21:58:05 +0100

Hej allesammans,
2005-02-09 kl. 20.20 skrev James Spencer:

Hi,

This is another 'mixed-bag' of an email. So in no particular order here goes:

1. Yesterday I told Sangel that I'd put his L3 Orcish Nightstalker to
the list for inclusion in mainline
http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4548 . I also told him
that I didn't particularly like the idea of a Lv. 3 Nighstalker. First
of all there is the fact that the level two unit would have to be
toned down (a big power spike is OK for a lv. 2 'dead end' unit, but
less so for something that has an advancement, IMHO). The other reason
is that I have this pet theory that the 'hoardish' factions should
help pay for their access to level 0 units by having fewer level 3
advancements (even if this doesn't have much impact in MP), and that
players shouldn't feel that every faction has to have units that go to
level 3. The final reason is that I think that there are better
candidates for inclusion: Lv. 3 'Slurbow' would 'feel' better, IMHO,
and the Lv. 1 'Goblin Standard Bearer' would actually be an innovative
unit as it would provide leadership to a lv. 0 unit at lv. 1 (Although
it would be bad for balance). But this is only my opinion, and I
though I'd pose it to the list for consideration.

I do not like this idea at all. The orcish nightstalker does not in any way fit into my perception of what the orcs are in Wesnoth. I would really dislike the inclusion of this unit. And all lines do not need to go to level 3....

2. I propose that Sangel should be added to the developer ML. He is a
long time contributor, and the only reason that he doesn't have a
higher profile is because he's well behaved and stays out of forum
wars & doesn't do IRC much. Check his profile (
http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=314 ) he's
not quiet, he's just sane. Also, he has the distinction of being the
first person to contribute art to TRoW :)

I concur wholeheartedly.

b) What should be done in MP? I have this pet theory about what I'd like:
- Give the Loyalists the Merman Fighter line. I know we've invested a
certain amount of effort in justifying why they have the Naga, and I
wouldn't contradict that in public, but why?
- Give the Rebels the Merman Hunter line INSTEAD of the Merman Fighter
line. I think this line has more of an Elven affinity than the fighter
line, it would reduce unit duplication between the factions, and it
would give the unit a use withing the game. Another option I'm less
fond of would be to give the Rebels the Mermaids. A water based magic
user would certainly give them a perceived power boost... This is an
either or thing (IMHO) and I like the idea of using the Hunter line
more.

So the mermen would be split internally between 2 factions? I find that a bit odd. But it might just be the novelty of the idea.

/Sanna