Re: [Wesnoth-dev] Three level units

From: Hogne Håskjold
Subject: Re: [Wesnoth-dev] Three level units
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 12:56:19 +0100

On Sun, Feb 13, 2005 at 11:02:40AM +0100, Susanna Björverud wrote:
> >Personally, I would prefer a game where all units have three levels -
> >it feels more "natural" to me that way. However, there are sound
> >objections to this philosophy, and they don't need to be debated
> >further. What I would like to do is make sure that every unit which
> >SHOULD have three levels DOES have three levels.
>
> Well, as you said, it has been debated to death. Let me just reiterate
> that I most strongly feel that it gives a more varied game with better
> game play if not all units end at the same level. *smile*
>
> For the various units you listed, IMO they do not need a third level.
> IMO while being a side-line to a more powerful level 2  unit is indeed
> a sufficient reason not to have a 3d level, it is not by default so
> that all lines that are not such should go to level 3.
>
> *snip*

For me this boils down to a simple question:

Is it more fun to halfway into a campaign reach the level limit of my
units, or is it more fun to be able to have my units progress through
the entire campaign?

For me it is obviously the latter. So I welcome all the third level
units sangel proposed. I would even like 4th and 5th lvl *grin*
(although this would have some serious game balance issues).

I don't quite understand the varied gameplay argument. The game is
varied because of a lot of things, I don't feel lvl cap on some units
is significant in this regard.

--
mvh                 (o_
Hogne Håskjold      //\