Re: [Wesnoth-dev] Three level units

From: Hogne Håskjold
Subject: Re: [Wesnoth-dev] Three level units
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 15:28:03 +0100

On Sun, Feb 13, 2005 at 03:11:45PM +0100, Guillaume Melquiond wrote:
> Neither one nor the other; you are forgetting an important point.
> Wesnoth is not a tactical RPG, you don't lose when one of your
> soldiers die. This thread is not about campaign heroes, it is about
> the plain soldiers you recruit. They will die, it's just the way it
> is, and you will recruit other units to replace them. If your units
> never die, you should really start playing in a harder difficulty
> level. Units die, and hence your argument of having "units progress
> through the entire campaign" isn't on the mark.

Many of my units die during campaign play, but I try to maintain a
"core group" which I try to advance as far as possible. When this core
group hits the roof long before the end of the campaign this reduces
the fun for me. I enjoy the progression of this "core group" very much.

This is just how I enjoy to play, if you want to label that the wrong
way to play the game then feel free to do so.

> Let's see, Elvish Genocider, a lv5 unit in the Elvish Avenger branch
> *snip*

I obviously didn't make it clear enough that I didn't mean this very
seriously....

> You seem to forget that units that are capped at lv2 are almost always
> stronger than their uncapped counter-parts. Lv2 capped units are
> interesting: they provide fast reached low cost heavy hitters. Too bad
> you don't think such a diversity between units improve gameplay. I do.

I have no problem with lvl 2 capped _alternatives_ for a unit, and I
don't see any significant reduction in diversity in adding a
lvl2->lvl3 option to a unit that only has a capped lvl2. Quite the
opposite imo.

--
mvh                 (o_
Hogne Håskjold      //\