Re: [Wesnoth-dev] Next release

From: Jon Daniel
Subject: Re: [Wesnoth-dev] Next release
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 11:37:20 +0100

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 09:03:47 -0500
James Spencer <address@hidden> wrote:

> Oh sorry... I haven't been following the 'versioning standards' debate
> very closely... For the last little while the .x.NOTHING release has
> been dubbed "stable"... So in my chronic skimming I assumed we'd call
> .9 STABLE and then usher in the .9 development series. Sorry, I'll
> catch up on the 'versioning stuff'. It's seems matter less when "old"
> is > 6 hours :)
>
> Yes, we should wait a prudent amount of time to make sure fixes work
> as advertised...

There are no unstable or stable versions. Most of the releases are more
unstable than current CVS because they are just a snapshot of it.
Besides that everything below 1.0 should be considered a development or
testing release.
I think rushing to 0.9.0 will require alot of 0.9.x versions
because 1.0 is far out of reach considering the features and level of
stability needed. Personally I don't care if we just skip some
MICRO/PATCH versions of the 0.8.x and go straight to 0.9.x but I don't
see why the 0.9 branch should have a decent amount of additional
releases compared to 0.8.x.

Jon Daniel