wxruby-dev

Re: [Wxruby-dev] OS X 10.2.6 compile error

From: Kevin Smith
Subject: Re: [Wxruby-dev] OS X 10.2.6 compile error
Date: 08 Jul 2003 19:45:04 -0700

On Tue, 2003-07-08 at 15:54, John Platte wrote:
> Update: By deleting the reference to "fontdialog.o" from the Makefile,
> I got wxRuby to compile.

Good. I was going to suggest that as a workaround.

It seems that the wxFontDialog is broken in wxWindows. On most
platforms, there is a constructor that only requires a parent window.
But the "generic" version always requires the second parameter as well.
We're using the generic version on OS X because there doesn't seem to be
a native version available in wxWindows yet.

So we can
a) disable the FontDialog on OS X, or
b) always force all users on all platforms to provide two parameters, or
c) have #if code in wxruby that works around it

I'm unhappy about (c), because it will make that class a bit harder to
cram into a template, but I think it's the right way to go. I should be
able to check in a change tonight.

> To install, I had to comment out the two
> existing install lines in src/install.rb and add a new one:
> File::install('wxruby.bundle', CONFIG['archdir'], 0755, true)

Ok. I changed this, with an "if", and will check it in shortly.
Hopefully I got it right.

> artprov/artprov.rb:323: warning: tried to create Proc object without a
> block

This is really, really strange. Clearly a block is being passed in to
evt_menu. And on other platforms, the block is recognized and used. I'll
try putting in some diagnostic code to try to help.

You might try commenting out all the evt_xxx calls and see if the app at
least comes up looking ok.

> 2) I get a blank main window titled "ArtProvider sample" that I can't
> activate and an alert titled "Wxruby Error" that says "no bitmap
> handler for type 9 defined."

That error appears to be coming from OS X, and not from wxruby itself.
It sounds like we'll need some Mac-specific code in there somewhere. By
the way, did you compile and run some wxWindows .cpp samples?

> with "OK" and "Details > >" buttons that don't work.

Hm. It sounds like it's auto-executing a dialog box.

> The main window can't activate. The wxRuby program launches
> behind the terminal window.

No idea.

> Running samples/treectrl/treetest.rb yields even more "warning: tried
> to create Proc object without a block"'s, and a message "## Component
> Manager: attempting to find symbols in a component alias of type
> (regR/carP/x!bt)", but it actually displays a Win32-looking folder
> labeled "Root" with an OS X-looking expand triangle and can be
> activated, although not much works.

Well, that's a step in the right direction, anyway.

> I don't know what feedback is and isn't helpful. Please forgive if this
> is dumb, but I'm also available to beta-test on OS X. I can provide
> screenshots or whatever you need.

All feedback is helpful. I just wish I could do more to try to diagnose
it. I know almost nothing about OS X, so I'm going to rely on other
people to figure out a lot of this stuff.

> I'm excited to see this much working!

Good. Hopefully we're not too far away from it really working.

Kevin