wxruby-dev

Re: [Wxruby-dev] OS X 10.2.6 compile error

From: John Platte
Subject: Re: [Wxruby-dev] OS X 10.2.6 compile error
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 12:35:32 -0500

On Thursday, Jul 17, 2003, at 23:43 America/Chicago, Kevin Smith wrote:

On Fri, 2003-07-11 at 09:11, John Platte wrote:
nothing.rb works perfectly.

Commenting out the if...else...end block around set_icon fixed the
"type 9" issue in minimal.rb, so it works perfectly now.

Hooray. So even the menus look ok, and function properly?

No menu, and it doesn't come to the front until I click it. But I don't get burps or bad behavior.

It's looking like my hunch is right. The Mac seems to need some special TLC to get menus working. Look at this thread from the wxPython list:

http://lists.wxwindows.org/archive/wxPython-mac/msg00052.html

And I'm not sure what part of this information might be relevant:

http://wiki.wxwindows.org/wiki.pl?WxMac_Issues

treetest.rb comes up and closes cleanly...it just burps the following
once the first time I try to click on its widgets:

## Component Manager: attempting to find symbols in a component alias
of type (regR/carP/x!bt)

Urg. I have no idea what that means.

Yesterday I downloaded RubyCocoa, and I got this error sometimes in those programs, too. I found an explanation via Google:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20021211054158940

"Having been plagued by this pretty much harmless error in my log files for a long while, I finally googled and came up with what was creating the following error message: ## Component Manager: attempting to find symbols in a component alias of type (regR/carP/x!bt) What's causing the message is the "Toast Video CD Support.qtx" file in /Library/QuickTime. If you don't need Toast Video CD support in QuickTime, you can get rid of that file, and the error all in one step. "

The important bit for me/us is that this is harmless. I suspected so, but it's confirmed. Maybe it should be a Mac FAQ, though, since presumably other developers will run into this.

It looks like nothing that needs to trap events within a window can.
when I run etc/test.rb, a simple text editor, I can't get keystrokes to
go to the program, they keep going to the terminal window instead. And
the treetest.rb just flickers when I click on it, it doesn't respond to clicks. I can maximize, minimize, resize, and close wxRuby windows, but
events inside the window itself don't seem to work at all.

Ok. What about if you add each of the following to nothing.rb, at the
end of MyFrame#initialize, (possibly one at a time if they cause
problems):

        evt_enter_window {puts('Mouse in')}
        evt_leave_window {puts('Mouse out')}
        evt_left_down {puts('Mouse down')}
        evt_idle {puts('Idle')}

No complaints...just many lines that say "Idle". I entered the window, clicked in the window, left the window, etc etc etc...

We're getting warmer, anyway!

Indeed!

Kevin

--