wxruby-dev

Re: [Wxruby-dev] OS X 10.2.6 compile error

From: John Platte
Subject: Re: [Wxruby-dev] OS X 10.2.6 compile error
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 16:43:33 -0500

Hi Kevin,

A belated response...thanks for the detailed message.

On Tuesday, Jul 8, 2003, at 21:45 America/Chicago, Kevin Smith wrote:

2) I get a blank main window titled "ArtProvider sample" that I can't
activate and an alert titled "Wxruby Error" that says "no bitmap
handler for type 9 defined."

That error appears to be coming from OS X, and not from wxruby itself.
It sounds like we'll need some Mac-specific code in there somewhere. By
the way, did you compile and run some wxWindows .cpp samples?

with "OK" and "Details > >" buttons that don't work.

Hm. It sounds like it's auto-executing a dialog box.

FWIW, it's definitely a wxWindows-generated dialog, not OS X native, because its behavior is like Carbon, not Cocoa, and it doesn't comply with the Aqua HIG.

To install, I had to comment out the two
existing install lines in src/install.rb and add a new one:
File::install('wxruby.bundle', CONFIG['archdir'], 0755, true)

Ok. I changed this, with an "if", and will check it in shortly.
Hopefully I got it right.

Works for me.

Running samples/treectrl/treetest.rb yields even more "warning: tried
to create Proc object without a block"'s, and a message "## Component
Manager: attempting to find symbols in a component alias of type
(regR/carP/x!bt)", but it actually displays a Win32-looking folder
labeled "Root" with an OS X-looking expand triangle and can be
activated, although not much works.

Well, that's a step in the right direction, anyway.

And as I mentioned in my post a few minutes ago, now the window doesn't come up at all. I think this happened as of the CVS checkin on the 8th abt 20:00.

In fact, I just verified this by doing cvs up -D 2003-07-08T19:00 and recompiling...when I run samples/treectrl/treetest.rb, the window comes up, and no dialog! (Huzzah!) (I left in the patches posted to the list earlier today.) No menu bar, either, though. Here's the one line printed to STDERR:

## Component Manager: attempting to find symbols in a component alias of type (regR/carP/x!bt)

But samples/minimal/minimal.rb almost completely succeeds. There's no menu bar, if it's supposed to have that, and I can't bring the window in front of other programs' windows. BUT I get no errors in dialogs or STDERR, and I can activate, resize, and close the window.

For some reason, samples/artprov still gives me the "no bitmap handler for type 9 defined." dialog. The main window does appear, but doesn't activate or respond to clicks in any way.

listctrl/listtest.rb just gives me the dialog, nothing else.

None of these have burped out to STDERR.

Hope this helps. Seems like this is getting warmer.

(Just for kicks, can I try running Redwood to see what works and what doesn't?)

Again, this message is based on the CVS head at 2003-07-08T19:00. The checkin after that seems to've broken my machine worse.

--
John Platte
Principal Consultant, NIKA Consulting