wxruby-dev

Re: [Wxruby-dev] Windows build error

From: Kevin Smith
Subject: Re: [Wxruby-dev] Windows build error
Date: 18 Jul 2003 07:48:54 -0700

On Fri, 2003-07-18 at 05:51, Park Heesob wrote:
> There is some problems in the lastest CVS version extconf.rb.
>
> 1) depends file problem
>
> I see this error
> NMAKE : fatal error U1073: don't know how to make 'button.obj'
> Stop.
>
> The content of depends is like this:
> app.o: app.cpp wx.h  app_cb.h app.h
>
> But for Windows environment it must be like this:
> app.obj: app.cpp wx.h  app_cb.h app.h

This is true. depends needs to refer to .obj files under MSW, instead of
.o files. After I sent that last message, I thought "wait a minute,
didn't Roy say .obj instead of .o?"

> I recommand remove  'f.puts("include depends")' from extconf.rb
> And rename "depends" to "depend".
> Then extconf.rb automatically modify content of depend file and add to
> Makefile.

But that won't work, because depends needs to include dependencies that
can't be known at the time extconf.rb runs, such as button.cpp depending
on window.h. This is because of the extra process for .t files.

So I think I can just modify my depends file to include a second copy of
itself, replacing all the .o with .obj. The MSW version will ignore all
the .o entries, and the Linux version will ignore all the .obj entries.

Roy: You can try this yourself, for now, by editing 'depends', and just
replacing all '.o' with '.obj'. But you'll have to start with a fresh
cvs checkout (aside from this change) in order to really test that it
can build all the .t files correctly.

Kevin