Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Cross Platform Path issues

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Cross Platform Path issues
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 10:17:55 -0700 (PDT)

    > From: "Parker, Ron" <address@hidden>

    > After trading email on the list with -t about this, I made some local
    > changes to the TLA source in an attempt to work around this issue.  These
    > changes were specifically related to using chdir and shortening the path
    > files that were only used locally.

Those changes should really go in a VU layer, as I outlined a message
or two back.

    > I made pretty good headway, but it becomes nasty when
    > 'what-changed' and 'commit' extract TAR files of patches.  Tar
    > itself will hit the ENAMETOOLONG issue as well, causing it to
    > return errors to TLA.  This is not just a TLA issue.  It affects
    > most of the programs that run on Cygwin.  TLA just happens to
    > expose these Cygwin specific problems through tar and company
    > due to its use of long-nested directory names.

    > So ideas?

Gah.  It appears that `tar' does in fact make _some_ use of fopen(3).
The bulk of it appears to stick to man(2) functions.

Making a `vu' version of tar is probably not _too_ hard, but it's not
quite trivial because the fopen(3) uses have to be considered.