Re: [Adonthell-devel] pathfinding & walking

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] pathfinding & walking
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2002 12:51:35 +0200

On Sat, 10 Aug 2002 20:30:39 +0200 Alexandre Courbot wrote:

> Another way maybe: would stopping the event handler (or simply time
> events) do it? Anyway, as later the principle will be that the game
> never stops in any way, maybe we can simply let it run while the main
> screen is displayed - it wouldn't hurt, especially for Waste's Edge!
> :)

That's right. Besides, we need to be able to stop individual characters,
which wouldn't be possible that way. It's really not good if characters
run away during dialogues for example.

As far as loading/saving is concerned. Either each schedule can have a
put_state method that allows it to save stuff to the character storage.
Then it can use those values at construction time to restore its exact
state. I.e. re-register it's callbacks with the same alarm time and
stuff like that. This method isn't required though. If it's not there,
it won't be called prior to saving.

The other alternative is to do without restoring the exact state of
characters. But I personally think that if we can have the exact state
quite easily, we shouldn't make compromises on this. For some NPCs or
schedules we'll have later on it might even be essential to restore the
exact state.