Re: [Adonthell-devel] pathfinding & walking

From: Alexandre Courbot
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] pathfinding & walking
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2002 15:18:42 +0200

> Well, the problem I faced yesterday was that the pathfinding/walking
> stopped before the character completely reaching its goal. Therefore
> the goal_reached callback wasn't called, and no new movement
> registered. Just print some text from the 'goal_reached' method of
> Tristan's schedule (or that of any other character) to see if it gets
> called or not.
>
> However, if it isn't called, I am really puzzled, because it works
> very well on my side. If it is called, it's not much better though. It
> might have something to do with the schedules and events I guess
> (obviously:P). Maybe Python2.2 behaves a little bit different or
> something (I'm using 2.1 here).

I'm using 2.2, right. Well actually goal_reached is never called. I had
a look at mapcharacter.cc, the "goal reached" callback is actually
always NULL when follow_path() reaches the goal. So of course it isn't
called.

Actually by putting some prints in talan.py, I noticed that
self.myself.set_callback (self.goal_reached) is actually never called!
The following block:

        print "Setting..."
        self.myself.set_callback (self.goal_reached)
        print "Set!"

Only prints "Setting..." as output. Weirdos, eh? And no other output,
not even an error, is displayed, despite of the fact I have Python
debugging turned on!

Ahhhh wait before hanging yourself! I've just removed
py_adonthell_wrap.cc and re-generated it with SWIG, re-compiled and
installed and it works now! I think the problem came from adonthell.py.
Damn, I really don't understand why it hasn't been regenerated when I
updated my CVS. It's stupid. I'm stupid! :)

And now about the performances: While writing this mail, I have Waste's
Edge running on another desktop. When doing so before, about one half of
the CPU was used on my Athlon 850, according to my CPU dockapp. With
today's version, Adonthell is nearly not noticeable - the CPU monitor
sometimes indicate between 2 and 5% of activity, but if the music wasn't
turned on I couldn't say Adonthell is running. Amazing!!

So, so far so good. Sorry for the useless worries! :)
Alex.
--
http://www.gnurou.org