Re: [Adonthell-devel] Hello Hello

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Hello Hello
Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 12:53:49 +0200

On Wed, 30 Apr 2003 10:31:58 -0700 Mike Avery wrote:

> I poured over the mailing lists yesterday to see how everything was
> coming along.  I see that  the project has finally arrived to combat.

Yeah, at long last ;).

> Is Adonthell at the point now where combat is a real goal?

Yeah, absolutely. I'd like to have all the lowlevel stuff ready in time
for the new mapengine. Then we'd just need to connect the two, write
some GUIs and we'd have combat and items working.

Your help would therefore be greatly appreciated :). Not only am I quite
busy with other stuff these days, but I also lack motivation, as there's
hardly any progress these days. So if you'd jump aboard and get
something done, that'll probably wake my interest again.

> If you guys will have me, I'd like to help out now that the project
> seems ready to address combat.

Well, things should be nearly ready for combat. What remains to be done
is creating the required item templates (which are Python classes). That
of course requires the knowledge of the attributes and properties of
weapons and armour.

And another thing is having characters actually equip these items. My
thoughts about that are that characters have two inventories: one that
represents the backpack, and one for the items they are wearing. In
latter, slots are given names, so that the items inside can be easily
accessed. However, I am not quite sure how item properties are applied
to characters when they equip items. I guess they should be added to the
character's stats when equipping them, and removed upon unequipping.

But all this might well be subject to change. Obviously, if you want to
take care of combat, you should decide how things are done.

> If Adonthell has come now to looking at combat, receive your prodigal
> son!

With pleasure :). Not sure if you stumbled across it already, but there
is some documentation regarding the current item implementation. It's
all in CVS. See

   http://adonthell.linuxgames.com/development/doc_cvs.shtml

The scripting guide contains information about how to write item
templates. And the architecture doc has a chapter about items and
inventories in general. Then there's of course the item/inventory
related code: item_base.cc/.h slot.cc/.h inventory.cc/.h. However, a lot
of the stuff is written in Python, and that code isn't in CVS yet.
Unfortunately, it's not on that box here either. So you'll have to wait
'til the weekend before I can send it over. (Although some bits and
pieces are available through the mailing list archive, as you might have
seen.)

Anyway, welcome back. Please feel free to start immediately :).