RE: [Adonthell-devel] Hello Hello

From: Mike Avery
Subject: RE: [Adonthell-devel] Hello Hello
Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 10:20:38 -0700

> If you favour a more complex solution, like you did years ago ;), then
> you are free to try that, of course. Especially since Ben has given up
> on further rule design and wants to concentrate on graphics. The poor
> guy has also very little time :(.

I would like to combine the ideas in the docs with the core mechanics of the
one I wrote long ago.  The sample code is horridly difficult to read, but
the formulas incorporate the ideas from many discussions we had back then.
Remember the smaples I did involving the "Butterknife vs platemail using
neophyte and skilled attackers/defenders.? :)  I remember we were pleased
with the predictable and preceptibly realistic results we got.  The formulas
written long ago still have great balance in that way, but they were very
narrow in scope.  If I can fold the great ideas from the docs into the
equation, we should have something pretty cool!

I'll finish reading/reviewing and get to work.  I'm just going to extract
the gems from the old stuff and trash the rest and rewrite only the core
mechanics of combat.  Just a set of formulas which an handle the aspirations
outlined in the docs, using the good mechanical math stuff of old.

I think the first task though Kai would be the topic of the other discussion
regarding items/effects/actuals/etc.  If we can define the interface for the
managmenet module, then there's something to code to.

Mike