autoconf-archive-maintainers

Re: boost macros use non-portable tac

From: Peter Johansson
Subject: Re: boost macros use non-portable tac
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2012 09:42:34 +1000

On 09/27/2012 07:34 AM, Peter Simons wrote:
Hi guys,

how do you feel about the solution from<http://savannah.gnu.org/patch/?7839>?

Hi Peter,

That makes sense to me, to add dylib in the file pattern, but I'm not sure how it deals with Diego's concern regarding the order of libraries. What is the desired order?

As far as I can understand the library can be named:

libboost_system.a
libboost_system-mt.a
libboost_system.so
libboost_system-mt.so
libboost_system.dylib
libboost_system-mt.dylib
libboost_system.dll
libboost_system-mt.dll
libboost_system.lib
libboost_system-mt.lib

But why are we searching for the library with 'ls' rather than letting the linker try to find the library. One could try first try linking against '-lboost_system-mt' and then against '-lboost-system'. The linker knows much better than us what suffixes libraries have on the system. If people don't mind that change, I can prepare a patch. WDYT?

Cheers,
Peter