Re: How do you set VERBOSE for parallel testin

From: Roman Neuhauser
Subject: Re: How do you set VERBOSE for parallel testin
Date: Wed, 13 May 2015 17:43:07 +0200

# address@hidden / 2015-05-13 08:20:19 -0700:
> > Usually I run my tests with something like this:
>
> > make check -j8 VERBOSE=1
>
> Thanks Peter.
>
> My question is is this the only way to use VERBOSE? The Automake Manual
> seems to say that VERBOSE is a variable, not a make argument. And, as a
> variable, if the user (you) can change it's value then the appropriate way
> to do it is either:
>     env VERBOSE=1 make -e check
> or
>     VERBOSE=1; export VERBOSE; make -e check

make arguments are a mix of targets and macro assignments.  an argument
in the form of foo=bar is treated as a macro assignment and overrides
assignments found in the makefile.  environment variables can override
macros with the same name if the macro is assigned with the ?= operator
(or if you use `make -e`).

> Have you tried "make check -j8 VERBOSE"? If this works then it means that
> the existence of VERBOSE is sufficient to turn the option on. This is a
> possible interpretation of 15.2.3 Parallel Test Harness "If the variable
> 'VERBOSE' is set, this file is output after the summary."

no, that's not a possible interpretation unless you're really confused
about makefiles and make behavior.

--
roman