Re: rhel8 test failure confirmation?

From: Frederic Berat
Subject: Re: rhel8 test failure confirmation?
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2023 23:19:42 +0100

Hello,

I spent some more time on testing, and I could reproduce the issue on
Fedora rawhide, which gives more freedom for reproduction.

Regarding what I said earlier, since that wasn't clear enough, I couldn't
reproduce `make check` failures with the 1.16.5 official taball in a mock
environment, only with the trunk.
After few more hours, I could isolate 2 cases:
1) Random failures from multiple tests as stated earlier
2) Spurious failures of subobj.sh

Regarding 1), bisection led to 720a1153134b833de9298927a432b4ea266216fb
"m4: speed up filesystem modification checks". Whether it creates the
problem or simply reveals it is yet unclear. With this patch I could
reproduce multiple failures relatively easily (rarely more than one run).
Once reverted, the only test that fails from time to time on my side is
"subobj.sh" (twice out of ten trials). The amount of trials is probably not
enough, but based on previous observations, this patch looks to be a good
candidate for more investigations.

Regarding 2), that's less clear as this one fails less often, more time
would be needed to bisect it.

Fred.