Re: [avr-chat] HowTo split a program into several files ?

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] HowTo split a program into several files ?
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 07:22:48 +0200 (MET DST)

David Kelly <address@hidden> wrote:

> What I think it means is that you have an old version of avr-gcc.

Nope.  I don't know for sure for GCC 4.x, but as of GCC 3.x, DWARF-2
debugging is not enabled by default.  GCC needs a one-line patch or
the --with-dwarf2 (IIRC) option to ./configure in order to enable it.

WinAVR's binary version (as well as my FreeBSD ports) are DWARF-2
enabled by default.  I guess Vincent is using a vanilla Linux version.

Anyway, no big deal: just use -g (or -gstabs) instead of -gdwarf-2.
It will produce so-called stabs debugging information, which is pretty
fine under Unix, as both, avr-objdump as well as avr-gdb can handle
that one well.  The only reason for moving to DWARF-2 on Windows was
to get debugging information that is compatible with AVR Studio.